Sunday, May 5, 2013

No rain, no Maine

We left yesterday with the forecast predicting rain for the next three days. We couldn't just sit around for three days so we decided to head out. Day one: no rain until we were all tucked in our sleeping bags and warm.

Day two (today): Wind. Rain. Chaos.

The first five miles up Whitetop mountain were fine. Mild winds followed by some sprinkling rain. Then we reached the exposed ridge line of Whitetop where all hell broke loose at 5,200ft.

I can't say what the winds were but I do know my entire body + pack didn't stand a chance to them. I was on the top with six others and we were all amazed at the difference in weather. It took about a half hour to go 500 ft because the majority of the time we were diving on the ground and just holding onto rocks or in a ball trying not to blow away. We eventually were able to make a slow run for it ( picture running the opposite way on an escalator speed). We got to tree level again and called for a shuttle back into town rather than going to the next bald and reliving it.

Tomorrow we will shuttle back and try again. It will still be raining but the winds shouldn't be as bad.

http://youtu.be/0AD67JtKh2c

Other pictures below. Clearly not from today's adventure. And yes, I found the only black guy on the trail, a rarity. His name is BlackSquach.













2 comments:

  1. OK, just saw the video, that is crazy! Glad you are all safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are crazy! I miss you and I am also glad you are safe with Black Squash. :) I miss you tons!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete