Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bounce-a-chusetts and Mud-mont

It almost happened. I almost had my first trail tear. Not of frustration or sadness but of overwhelming joy. I spent this past week hiking with my mom and it was such a great week. She kept right up and impressed all the other hikers. As I was walking away after being dropped off I just kept thinking how lucky I am. 

I thought of how my mom shares the same passions as me and wants to be out here with me on her week off and the fact that she can physically do it. I thought of my aunt who drove 12 hours to allow my mom to hike with me and to see me if even just for a few hours. I thought of how crazy it is that after ten years of dreaming about the trail I have made it to Vermont. And as I put in my headphones to listen to a hand-picked playlist my boy made for me, it almost happened. 

I only hiked seven miles today and I just walked slow and enjoyed every minute of it. I was so content I didn't even realize that bitch Barbara creeping up on me. (Code walker taught me if you have a blister big enough it warrants having its own name). My shoes lasted 1600 miles!! Today I swapped them out for a shiny new pair to finish the trail with and my feet have grown a little (squished?) and the shoes were snug. 

As you can guess from the title. My conclusion of the past two states are: Massachusetts ground is extra bouncy and Vermont is just mud. Mud everywhere. 









The whites look easy from this angle. 


5 comments:

  1. Love the old vs. new sneaker pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww! I love that you got to hike with your mom! That's the best! =) You both look so happy, the way life should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Kerry you almost made ME tear up! What a very special thing that your mom was able to hike with you. I'm so happy and proud of you for doing this. I can't wait to see you when you return! Onward and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memories with your mom to last a lifetime! How wonderful! I love to hear that you took your time today, walking and enjoying it! Others ahead of you are struggling, totally wiped out hating the trail. That being said, once they stop and remember why they wanted to walk in the first place, they are finding their way back to simply enjoying the trail! It is not a job! Amazing what trail journals reveal! You already have that going on! It is still way cool ( my term not yours!) to you and you are still in awe! Love the pics, especially with Deb! Thanks for sharing! Be well, have fun!

    PS....I really thought bitch Barbara was a person! I was going, oh no, she ran into a crazy person, she's alone, etc...thanks for clarifying! I hope she behaves herself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a beautiful post! I think I finally figured out how to comment. And just as I hear you have crossed into NH! Wahoo!

    You are absolutely amazing Kerry! You are accomplishing something most of us won't even consider. And your mom! I agree, she is amazing too.

    Good luck, only one more border to cross. I am so incredibly proud!

    Love you,

    Aunt Kathy

    Joe says he is very proud of you also.

    ReplyDelete